Double Bowl Kitchen Sinks are a blessing for multitaskers. Not only do they save your time by creating an uninterrupted workspace, but also they increase your efficiency in doing chores.
In addition, you can simultaneously do multiple activities in a double bowl kitchen sink. We discussed more about double bowl sinks in our article on Single Bowl vs. Double Bowl Kitchen Sinks.
Here, we will analyze three types of double bowl sinks and help you decide which one is the most appropriate for you to get.
50/50 Vs. 60/40 Vs. 70/30 Kitchen Sinks: Side by Side Comparisons
What is the Main Difference?
50/50 Kitchen Sinks offer standard functionalities for multitasking chores, and 60/40 Kitchen Sinks have larger space that can accommodate bigger dishes and utensils.
In addition, extra-large dishes can fit 70/30 Kitchen Sinks, and this double bowl sink can function as an alternative to kitchen sink and bar sink combinations in the kitchen.
What is a 50/50 Kitchen Sink?
A 50/50 double bowl kitchen sink has equally separated basins. It offers symmetry in its design, and generally, these sinks are rectangular shaped with flat surfaces. Cleaning small to medium-sized dishes is suitable in this kitchen sink.
What is a 60/40 Kitchen Sink?
A 60/40 double bowl kitchen sink is a type of offset kitchen sink. Sinks like this are designed asymmetrically, and they are designed not only in rectangular shapes but also in oval curved forms.
You can fit in larger kitchen utensils to clean in these sinks along with other smaller sizes.
What is a 70/30 Kitchen Sink?
A 70/30 double bowl kitchen sink is the closest alternative to a separate kitchen sink and bar sink combination in your kitchen. This is also referred to as an offset sink, and it comes with similar designs as a 60/40 kitchen sink.
Its larger basin has enough space for washing the dirt off utensils while keeping clean ones aside. And its secondary basin can act as a bar sink for prepping, drying, and similar activities.
Distinguishing Factors Between 50/50 vs 60/40 vs 70/30 Kitchen Sinks
We found six essential factors you should consider to see which type of double bowl kitchen sink is appropriate for your usage.
- Size and Shape
- Cabinet Space
- Appropriate Utensils
Size and Shape
The size and shape of all three double bowl sinks are almost similar, with a few exceptions in the 50/50 kitchen sink and 70/30 kitchen sink. Those are,
- Most of the 50/50 Kitchen Sinks are structured as zero radius sinks, with no curved edges
- 70/30 are 2-3 inches larger than other double bowl sinks
Apart from that, the ideal size of these double bowl sinks is generally around 30 inches wide. And a variation of shapes, such as being oval and unorthodox, is available in the case of all three sinks.
The best cabinet space for the three double bowl sinks should be around 35 inches wide and 40 inches deep.
However, some exceptions can be made for 50/50 sinks, as it does not take up much cabinet space; in that case, a size around 32 inches would suffice.
- 50/50 Kitchen Sinks: 50/50 Kitchen sinks; generally, one basin is used to clean dirt off the dishes and prepping, while the other is used to keep already cleaned dishes dry.
- 60/40 Kitchen Sinks: 60/40 Kitchen sinks offer quicker accessibility for drying, washing dishes, and preparation. Its more extensive basin work as an alternative to separate drying racks and baskets.
- 70/30 Kitchen Sinks: 70/30 Kitchen sinks operate like a kitchen sink and a bar sink. These sinks function as a single unit, and you can do more than two tasks simultaneously in these sinks. Similar to 60/40 Kitchen Sinks, its larger basins are an alternative to different accessories.
- 50/50 Kitchen Sinks: 50/50 Kitchen sinks can accommodate small to medium-sized dishes and utensils.
- 60/40 Kitchen Sinks: Small, medium, and large dishes are suitable to clean in a 60/40 kitchen sink.
- 70/30 Kitchen Sinks: Small, medium, large, and certain extra large dishes and utensils can fit the larger basin of a 70/30 Kitchen Sink.
Both 50/50 and 60/40 kitchen sinks can accommodate all necessary accessories that come with a kitchen sink, such as drying racks, dish holders, grids, and more, as discussed in our Kitchen Sink Buying Guide.
However, in the case of 70/30 Kitchen Sinks, more variations of accessories can be accommodated. For example, the larger basin of a 70/30 sink can have two accessories set up. So, combinations like two drying racks in the more oversized sink and a small basket in the secondary sink are possible.
All three of these kitchen sink bowl types are priced from USD 200 to USD 700 as standard.
Pros and Cons of 50/50 Kitchen Sinks
Pros and Cons of 60/40 Kitchen Sinks
Pros and Cons of 70/30 Kitchen Sinks
- Is a divided sink better?
A divided sink is excellent for multitasking activities and compartmentalizing the workspace.
- What is a 60/40 kitchen sink?
A 60/40 kitchen sink is an offset kitchen sink designed asymmetrically to have a larger basin as a primary sink and a smaller basin as a secondary sink.
- Which is better: 50/50, 60/40, and 70/30 kitchen sink?
Depending on your specific chores, all three types of double bowl sinks are excellent in their purposes. However, 70/30 Kitchen Sinks are preferable for their capability to hold more dishes and accessories.
- What is the purpose of a 70/30 sink?
A 70/30 Kitchen Sinks’s primary purpose is to function as a single unit sink that can fulfill the tasks of a primary kitchen sink and a bar sink. In addition, it allows multitasking while cleaning larger dishes and utensils.
Are you planning on renovating the kitchen? You may have had some thoughts concerning the sink. And it’s quite evident that the most frequently used in
Sinks and faucets are one of the most important parts of a conventional home or work-loaded office nowadays. Perhaps, you cannot think about a kitchen
Plumbers are becoming expensive to hire for installing an undermount sink and it becomes costly for us. How it feels if you install it on
Double Bowl Kitchen Sinks are a blessing for multitaskers. Not only do they save your time by creating an uninterrupted workspace, but also they increase
Finding the right kitchen sink is crucial for a homeowner, as that can determine their entire mood while doing chores in their kitchen. However, with
Deciding whether to get kitchen sinks from a brand that offers numerous types of sinks, or from a brand that focuses more on the variation